- More than 1 billion people (1/6 of the world’s population) lack access to clean drinking water.
- Nearly 40 percent of rural residents in the Americas (excluding the U.S. and Canada) lack access to clean drinking water.
- About 2.6 billion people (half of the developing world) lack access to improved sanitation.
- Every 6 seconds, someone dies of disease related to lack of clean water or sanitation. That’s 5 million people each year! Most are children less than 5 years old.
- Carrying heavy water containers long distances to their homes is usually the job of the family’s women. They spend on average 3 hours every day at this task.
- Help small, rural communities develop and maintain access to safe, year-round drinking water.
- Preserve and protect watersheds that provide water to these communities.
- Provide training and education to local people in maintaining drinking water systems, improving hygiene and protecting watersheds so they will have autonomy with respect to water needs.
- Partner with other organizations to carry out this mission.
You Can Help
By making a donation today, you can help those most in need obtain clean water and better sanitation.